Sunday 6 March 2011

Would you be my girlfriend?

When I first arrived in Sierra Leone almost two years ago, I couldn’t get into a cab without being asked for my phone number or having a note slipped into my hand by an eager Sierra Leonean man. I even had a motorcycle taxi driver suggest to me that he was a good lover. I started giving out my housemate Stephen’s phone number and felt incredibly guilty every time he got an unwanted call.


As my Krio got better, the male attention stopped and I began getting offers from women wanting to be my girlfriend. I was flattered. I attributed it to the fact that they no longer found me threatening. For the men, I was no longer new and interesting.


Then last year everything stopped altogether. No more ‘I love you’ or ‘I want you’ or even a ‘Good friend good friend.’ No one hassles me in taxis anymore or offers to carry my bags (which I miss to be honest!). The money changers on the kerbs even stopped offering me change. Worst off all, instead of ‘white girl, they started calling me Ma and Mommy.’ Even the women stopped asking to be my friend. Maybe I’d blended in to the point of becoming invisible.


Then yesterday, as I was walking to my favourite café Bliss from home, a young girl of about 16 came up to me and said she wanted me for her girlfriend. “I’ll keep a look out for you,” she said. Yeah, I still got it baby!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete