Sunday 24 May 2009

Who am I?

My name is Sulakshana Gupta and I'm a print journalist from India. I'm currently in Freetown, Sierra Leone for seven months as a print media trainer with the Canadian media development NGO, Journalists for Human Rights (jhr). I started this blog to communicate with friends about my experiences of working with local journalists, sampling the local cuisine and culture and finding my way around vibrant but chaotic Freetown.

Some of the characters in my story are likely to be my colleagues Stephen, Jordan, Allison and Chris and the country director for our programme, Elvis Ghanabom Hallowell.

Facts about Sierra Leone and Freetown:
Sierra Leone is tiny a West African country and one of the poorest places in the world. The country recently ranked lowest on the Human Development Index. Freetown, the country's capital is a major commercial shipping hub and one of the largest natural harbors in the world. Sierra Leone's main exports. Industries include fish packing, rice milling, petroleum refining, diamond cutting, and the manufacture of cigarettes.

Freetown was colonised in 1787 by freed black slaves from England is also home to the Fourah Bay College. Founded in 1827, it's the oldest university in West Africa. For more information on Freetown and Sierra Leone, check out the following wikipedia pages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Leone.

No comments:

Post a Comment